Michael Jackson’s final day

Last night, while searching for images of Michael Jackson, I stumbled across this one taken shortly before his death. He was being fitted with part of the costume that he would be wearing during his scheduled “This Is It” tour. It is easy to see how unhealthy he was, which is why I am often amazed by those close to him claiming that he looked and acted like he felt great. It’s a tragedy that no one intervened to save him from himself.

The Associated Press has created a timeline of Michael Jackson’s last day. Here are the highlights:

Wednesday, June 24, sometime in the afternoon
Michael Jackson came downstairs and joined his children for their last meal together. His chef, Kai Chase, had prepared a light meal of seared tuna, organic salad, and juice, because Michael wanted something light before his planned rehearsal later in the day. According to Chase, Michael was in a great mood, looked well, smiled, joined in a prayer, and said, “Thank you, God bless you.”

Wednesday, June 24, 7pm
Michael left his rented mansion in an Escalade driven by his bodyguard and traveled to the Staples Center, where he reheared several songs, including “Billie Jean,” “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’,” and “Smooth Criminal.” He also rehearsed “Thriller” in full costume for the first time. Everyone involved said he was in good shape physically and very excited about the technical aspects of the shows that he would soon be performing in London. Rehearsal ended around midnight. Michael hugged his dancers, thanked everyone, said, “Good night” and “God bless you.”

Thursday, June 25, shortly after midnight
Jackson’s bodyguard remembers seeing Dr. Conrad Murray’s car parked in the driveway as he returned Michael to the mansion. After being escorted to the foot of the stairs, he began complaining of fatigue and saying he needed sleep.

Thursday, June 25, 1:30 am
Dr. Murray claims in a police affidavit that he had been concerned about Michael’s addiction to propofol, and had not given him the drug for two nights. He continued this approach by giving Michael a 10-milligram tablet of Valium.

Thursday, June 25, 2:00 am
Because the Valium had provided no apparent effect, Murray administered 2 milligrams of lorazepam intravaneously.

Thursday, June 25, 3:00 am
Michael still wasn’t able to sleep, so Murray gave him a 2-milligram dose of midazolam.

Thursday, June 25, 5:00 am
Jackson remained awake, so Murray administered 2 milligrams of lorazepam.

Thursday, June 25, 7:30 am
Because Michael was still unable to sleep, Murray injected another 2 milligrams of midazolam. He lay restlessly on his bed, surrounded by several oxygen bottles and a porcelain doll.

Thursday, June 25, 10:40 am
Murray finally relented to Jackson’s repeated demands for propofol, and injected 25 milligrams of the white liquid drug into the IV drip. Murray claims that he remained by Michael’s bedside for 10 minutes, then went to the bathroom. When he returned two minutes later, he found Jackson not breathing.

Thursday, June 25, 11:18-11:51 am
Phone records show that Murray made at least three different phone calls – one to a friend, a patient, and his Las Vegas clinic.

Thursday, June 25, 12:13 pm
Murray left a message with his personal assistant, saying, “Call me right away, call me right away.” When Williams returned his call, he said, “Get here right away. Mr. Jackson had a bad reaction.”

Williams called a security guard, who rushed upstairs to find Jackson lying on the bed with his eyes and mouth open and his arms outstretched. Murray was administering CPR with one hand.

Michael’s two oldest children, Prince and Paris, entered the room and began crying before being quickly escorted outside.

Murray instructed the security guard to pick up vials with rubber tops and place them in a bag. After completing this task, Murray told the guard to call 911.

Thursday, June 25, 12:27 pm
Paramedics arrived and noted that Jackson had no pulse and wasn’t breathing. Murray claimed that he could still feel a pulse in Michael’s upper thigh area, but no one else was able to feel it.

After unsuccessfully completing two rounds of resuscitation attempts, the paramedics wanted to discontinue treatment. Murray insisted that it continue in the ambulance.

Thursday, June 25, 1:07 pm
Jackson was driven to Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, where doctors went so far as inserting a balloon pump into his body to circulate blood.

Thursday, June 25, 2:26 pm
Jackson was pronounced dead. Murray began crying, told Michael’s children that their father had died, and asked to return to the house. Michael’s security team advised against it, but Murray indicated he would take a cab.

Author: Brian

Blogger. Bookworm. Michael Jackson fanatic. Lives in Kentucky with partner of 12 years and three fabulous felines.

4 thoughts on “Michael Jackson’s final day”

  1. This is so sad. The picture is heartbreaking; although he is happy, physically he just looks pitiful. To read the step by step account is liking watching him die in slow motion. So sad… so unnecessary.

  2. How can u look at one small picture and make a conclusion “it is easy to see how unhealthy he was”? We’re talking about ppl who saw him EVERY DAY and from one picture u have made a diagnosis? Are all these ppl lying?? Yes Michael was thin, but that would not lead me to say ‘look how unhealthy he is’. Michael was always slim, go back and look at the pictures. NOW after he is dead, we go back and do ‘Monday morning quarterbacking’. It’s not just you, it’s everyone. And Murray’s account of the whole incident… pathetic! He killed Michael Jackson and will probably get little if any time in jail. This is truly a tragic occurrence in our history.

    Long live Michael Jackson. Keep his love, his music, his message deep in your heart!

  3. @ Marigold: I’ve been looking at pictures of MJ for almost 20 years now, so I don’t base my statement on “one small picture.” He was in decline for quite some time before his death, most of which seemed to start during the last trial. I even had difficulty getting excited about the “This Is It” tour, because I didn’t know if he was able (mentally or physically) to do it.

    This isn’t “Monday morning quarterbacking” as you call it. Alot of people realized what was going on and some claimed they tried to intervene unsuccessfully.

    I don’t like feeling the need to defend my words, but there you go. All I know is the man is dead and it is a great tragedy to me personally and to the world at large.

Join the conversation!