He didn’t like the line that was drawn between what’s allowed for men and what’s allowed for women.
Karen Faye, longtime makeup artist to Michael Jackson, explaining why he wore lipstick and eyeliner
Someone recently told me I have led an exciting life. After a few moments of denial, I admitted that my life has been pretty interesting.
A few examples…
- Growing up in a very strict household where I couldn’t watch television, wear short sleeves, or attend my school’s basketball games
- Coming out to my family at twenty years of age
- Creating a Michael Jackson fan site that became the catalyst for a trip to Germany in 2001
- Getting to see Michael Jackson in concert on 9/10/01
- Being in New York City on 9/11/01
- Meeting my partner of 9 years on the internet
- Getting to see some of the best performers on earth live in concert
- Traveling to various parts of the country
- Becoming a business owner earlier this year
- Having a scan of my Michael Jackson concert ticket included in an upcoming special on National Geographic
Even though I am typically scared of my own shadow, I am glad I have been willing to put myself out there on multiple occasions. Those are typically the moments that have been the most rewarding.