He didn’t like the line that was drawn between what’s allowed for men and what’s allowed for women.
– Karen Faye, longtime makeup artist to Michael Jackson, explaining why he wore lipstick and eyeliner
Someone recently told me I have led an exciting life. After a few moments of denial, I admitted that my life has been pretty interesting.
A few examples…
- Growing up in a very strict household where I couldn’t watch television, wear short sleeves, or attend my school’s basketball games
- Coming out to my family at twenty years of age
- Creating a Michael Jackson fan site that became the catalyst for a trip to Germany in 2001
- Getting to see Michael Jackson in concert on 9/10/01
- Being in New York City on 9/11/01
- Meeting my partner of 9 years on the internet
- Getting to see some of the best performers on earth live in concert
- Traveling to various parts of the country
- Becoming a business owner earlier this year
- Having a scan of my Michael Jackson concert ticket included in an upcoming special on National Geographic
Even though I am typically scared of my own shadow, I am glad I have been willing to put myself out there on multiple occasions. Those are typically the moments that have been the most rewarding.